At Dakota Carding & Wool Co. your fleece will be weighed dirty and scouring charges asessed on incoming weight. Carding charges will be assessed on clean, dry fiber weight. Shipping charges will be added to the final bill.
Complete the fiber processing form and enclose with your shipment.
What You Need to Know
- We have no minimum size for an order but there is a $10.00 minimum charge.
- You are guaranteed to receive your own wool back.
- We wash your fleece using environmentally safe products.
- We clean the machine between individual runs.
- We will blend fine fibers or blend coarse fibers, natural & dyed color mixes.
- We do custom dyeing.
- We do custom hand spinning.
- We will card your leftovers together.
- We will card each order individually.
- We will card exotics – we will not card 100% mohair or 100% angora rabbit, these must be blended with at least 50% wool or other fiber. At this time we are not carding fine bombex silk or suri alpaca no matter what the blend.
- We will card color blends, very long or very short fibers and thrums.
Processing Sheep Wool, Llama, and Alpaca
- Some facts and helpful hints based on years of experience in processing animal fibers.
- Please skirt your fleece and make sure that it is not contaminated with plastic baling twine, hoof trimmings, sticks, stones, burdocks, wire, etc.
- The cleaner you get your fiber before you sent it, the cleaner you'll get it back.
- We will NOT card Suri Alpaca.
- All fibers must be washed before carding. Either you can do it or we will.
- Do not send tightly matted or felted fleece.
- Shorter fleece, 4" or less, cleans up better.
- The longer time the fiber spends on the animal the harder it is to card.
- If an animal has been stressed or ill, it will show in the fleece. Check for break points.
- Guard hair does not card out.
- White, black or dark fleece shows remaining debris the most.
- We do not use hot water or detergent on llama or alpaca.
How to Complete Your Order